The Dangers of Chlorine
The two most common pool and spa chemicals are chlorine and bromine. These are two exorbitantly deadly toxins.
Known Chlorine Dangers:
- Chlorine combines with natural organic matter decaying vegetation to form potent cancer causing trihalomethanes (THM's)
- The level of chlorine in swimming pools is over 1,000% the level deemed minimally safe by the EPA in water Causes atherosclerosis, stroke and heart attack
- Causes skin to prematurely age
- Damages the human eye
- Causes bladder, breast, testicular, bladder, colon, or rectal and bowel cancer as well as malignant melanoma
- Damages lung tissue
- Causes acne, psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema
- Converts to dioxins - the most dangers of cancer causing chemicals and which build up permanently within a person's body
- Causes infertility and birth defects
- Damages the nervous system permanently
"Chlorine is so dangerous" according to PhD biologist/chemist Dr. Herbert Schwartz,"that it should be banned". Putting chlorine in water is like starting a time bomb. Cancer, heart trouble, premature senility, both mental and physical are conditions attributable to chlorine treated water supplies. It is making us grow old before our time by producing symptoms of aging such as hardening of the arteries."
Dr. Stephen Askin wrote: "The real issue is not just how toxic chlorine itself is but how the unintended by-products of chlorine (organochlorines and dioxins) remain in the environment. They are persistent in the environment; they do not break down readily and therefore bio-accumulate. This can create a very serious health problem; the dioxins and other toxic chemicals accumulate in the fatty tissues. These contaminants are also hormone disrupters because they mimic estrogen.
The EPA has observed and documented hormonal imbalance, suppressed immune systems, reproductive infertility and alterations in fetal development of animals. In viewing the big picture, these factors are perhaps the most frightening results from the widespread use of chlorine."